Ann Kavanagh, visual artist originally from Kilkenny, now living in Monkstown, Co Dublin. She graduated as a mature student from Dun Laoghaire IADT in 2004 receiving an honours degree in Fine Art.
Ann works across the mediums of photography and printmaking and is both a studio and board member of the Black Church Print Studio. Ann has participated at residencies at other print studios namely Crown Point Press, San Francisco, Druckstella Printmaking Studio, Berlin and Mi-Lab at Lake Kawaguchi Japan, and has exhibited nationally and internationally.
My work brings together the aesthetic of structural man-made forms, resulting in a combination of etching and woodblock prints that carry a fragility and calmness.
Concepts and ideas begin from drawings and photographic images, I abstract certain elements to create a visual interpretation of my urban and rural surroundings. My prints are mainly abstract, combining woodblock and etching on Fabriano and Japanese papers. The printing process for me is a response to the materials themselves, erasing lines to create lines, mark making on copper and aluminum plates plus the accidental scratches that I choose to leave, editing until a composition begins to emerge. Each print is developed in conjunction with one another.
I work instinctively and as my urban surroundings become more intense, my emotive response to this is created by layers and depth of colour, contrast and textures found within my work.
Selected to exhibit both in Ireland and internationally:
- Cairde Sligo Arts Festival
- Woolwich Contemporary Print Fair, Woolwich, London
- Greenacres Gallery, Wexford
- Art Source RDS, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4
- VUE – RHA Dublin
- Halftone Fair – The Library Project, Temple Bar, Dublin
- Pier Printers – Unframed at Filmbase, Temple Bar, Dublin
- Small Format – Black Church Print Studio
- Artnet DLR – Mill Theatre, Dundrum
- IMC2017 Hawaii’s “Beauty of Mokuhanga: Discipline & Sensibility”
- CfSHE Gallery (in 3331 Arts Chiyoda) Tokyo
- Royal Ulster Academy – 135th Annual Exhibition
- “Home” at dlrLexicon, Dun Laoghaire
- Ev+a – Limerick City Gallery of Art
- Iontas 16th National Small Works, Sligo Art Gallery
- Eigse, Carlow Arts Festival
- Impressions, Galway Arts Centre
- Botanic Gardens, Dublin – “A Natural Selection”
- 2011 Guanlan International Print Biennial China
- Mini Print International of Cadaques, Spain
- Centre for Contemporary Printmaking, Norwalk, Connecticut, USA
- Selected to participate at Mi-Lab Residency, Lake Kawaguchi, Japan 2016 & 2018
- Prizewinner at Impressions Print Open Submission, Galway Arts Centre, 2004
- Graduate award for membership to the Graphic Print Studio, Dublin, 2003
Contact and social media details: